Reporting to the CEO, this role is a key member of the executive team responsible for connecting talent strategy to organizational strategy. The VP, People & Culture is tasked with developing and executing on the human capital plan for UNF as a whole. Additionally this VP will have oversight of the operations department. This requires experience and comfort in a global, fast-paced, diversified and mission driven organization.
The VP, P&C will be an enterprise-wide thinker who works collaboratively with other senior leaders in driving people strategy, and resource planning for optimizing organizational effectiveness and performance, and aligns with the needs and culture in order to attract, recruit, retain and develop the exceptional talent necessary to achieve UNFs vision, mission, and goals.
- Serve as a strategic business advisor to senior leadership regarding key organizational and human capital issues. Offer effective and insightful contributions to corporate strategy and operational development from a human capital perspective.
- Ensure that the organization’s values are clearly understood at all levels of the organization. Drive alignment between values and supporting employee behaviors that enable the realization of a diverse, high performance culture within the organization.
- Propose and implement strategic initiatives in alignment with the organization’s mission.
- Develop and manage relationships across the organization to ensure strong partnerships and collaboration to build consensus and drive change.
- Identify and provide unique development opportunities for senior leadership including ongoing executive coaching
Talent Acquisition and Development:
- Develop a comprehensive global talent acquisition and retention strategy to support the organization’s human capital needs in volume, cultural fit, quality, cost and timing.
- Partner with leaders throughout the organization for early identification of recruitment needs.
- Lead and manage all recruitment related efforts to support hiring activity for the organization including development of new sourcing strategies to build talent pipelines.
- Design and manage the internship program through development of a comprehensive plan to identify needs, recruitment strategy, and placement.
- Identify and operationalize best practices as they relate to processes, systems, tools, training and metrics to support and track the success of the recruiting function. Ensure timely and accurate reporting of qualitative and quantitative results.
- Provide strategic direction and counsel to internal stakeholders on a variety of staffing related matters, including ensuring legal compliance and resolution of all recruitment selection issues and concerns.
- Ensure an onboarding process that effectively transitions new hires into their department and the overall culture of the organization.
- Assess the training and development needs of the organization. Create programs to develop the skills and competencies necessary for success including diversity training and initiatives.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Implement a diversity strategic plan that reflects the organization’s culture, mission, and human capital priorities and contributes to the development of an inclusive work environment.
- Determine the appropriateness of introducing diversity initiatives and consider the unique needs of the organization.
- Lead the development of policies and programs to attract, retain and promote a diverse workforce for the organization.
- Develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of diversity initiatives implemented and communicate results to leadership.
- Keep current on diversity programs and developments in the industry.
Employee Relations and Engagement:
- Evaluate the current employee appraisal process, and design and implement a cohesive process for effectively measuring employee performance, goals and career development.
- Provide counsel and assistance with employee terminations and outplacement, coaching managers and supervisors on best practices, day-of actions and follow up.
- Serve as the point of contact for employee complaints, grievances and disciplinary actions, in conjunction with legal counsel.
- Advise senior leadership and departmental managers on personnel matters including training, promotions, transfers and salary adjustments.
- Oversee the exit interview process, compile and analyze results to ensure feedback and data are utilized to improve processes.
Benefits and Administration:
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefit plans that are competitive and cost-effective.
- Manage a high-quality human capital function, including appropriate technology, systems and tools as well as the use of metrics and people data to inform key decisions.
- Oversee day-to-day responsibilities of the people & culture team including supervision of direct reports. Manage, develop and mentor the team by fostering a sense of camaraderie, providing feedback and professional development.
- Ensure compliance with all employment-related regulatory agencies and laws. Work in close collaboration with legal counsel on decision making with respect to all employment-related regulatory affairs.
- Manage special projects and other responsibilities as needed.
This position requires a minimum of 15-20 years in human resources, with at least five years of executive experience. he successful candidate must be very hands-on and service oriented. Additionally, the candidate should possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- Master’s degree in organizational development and/or management highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, human resources or related field required.
- Experience working in a not-for-profit setting.
- Deep knowledge of HR laws, regulations and compliance issues.
- Exceptional interview skills with proficiency in situational and behavioral interview methodology.
- Diplomatic, tactful and pragmatic in all interactions; Ability to develop trust, confidence and respect with all levels within the organization as well as external advisors.
- Proactive yet flexible team-player with a “roll-up-your sleeves” approach and mentality.
- Demonstrates high intelligence, integrity, honesty and discretion; maintains confidentiality.
- Exhibits polish, professionalism and strong business acumen.
- Superior interpersonal, leadership, verbal/written communication and presentation skills. Comfortable presenting at the executive level including to the Board of Directors.
- Demonstrates respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and commitment to building a diverse workforce. Proven record of improving diversity in other organizations.
- Consensus builder with a collaborative approach to new initiatives and problem solving. Proven ability to facilitate change within an organization.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Proficient in HRIS programs and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.